Steele v. United States

Welcome to the Steele v. United States PTIN Fees Class Action Website


If you paid the IRS a fee to obtain or renew your Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN), a class action lawsuit may affect your rights.


Tax return preparers have sued the United States alleging that they have been wrongfully required to pay PTIN fees set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in 2010 at $64.25 and $63, and in November 2015 at $50.

The Court has allowed the lawsuit to be a class action on behalf of all individuals or entities that paid a fee for the application for or renewal of a PTIN on or after September 30, 2010. The exclusion period expired on December 7, 2016.

On June 1, 2017, the District Court granted the Plaintiffs' Motion for Summary Judgment in part, ruling that the IRS may continue to require PTINs, but may not charge fees for the issuance or renewal of PTINs.  It also enjoined the IRS from charging those fees in the future, and ordered the government to refund all PTIN fees paid to date. The United States filed a notice of appeal on September 6, 2017, and has moved to stay the Court's injunction and refund orders. Therefore, no money has been recovered yet. The Court's OpinionOrder, and Final Judgment can be found in Case Documents.

If you did not exclude yourself from the class and money or benefits are obtained from the United States, you will be notified about how to ask for your share. 

If you applied for a PTIN and paid an initial fee after August 20, 2016, you will be notified about any exclusion rights you may have once the United States decides whether to appeal the District Court’s final judgment.

Any questions? Read the Frequently Asked Questions or call 1-866-483-8621.